Last night I stumbled across a beautiful speech that I haven't been able to stop thinking about.
I've noticed that every once in a while, just when I'm needing some guidance, Heavenly Father finds a way to give me exactly what I need to hear. He finds ways to put it right under my nose. Whether it be in a church talk that I'm sure was written specifically for me, a good quote that I stumble upon, or something that stands out to me as I read my scriptures.
Well, last night as I was browsing around on the Gospel Library app on my phone, I happened to find this talk, entitled
click to read the whole talk
Alright, so if I'm being honest, I have no idea what the word 'axiom' means, and I'm probably not even pronouncing it correctly....but I'm pretty sure I still got the gist of the whole talk.
As I've pondered the words of this talk all day today, I thought to myself, 'You know what! That was exactly what I needed to hear...and maybe it's exactly what someone else needs to hear too.'
So I thought I'd share it with you, just in case you're looking for a little upliftment too! It is filled with simple wisdom that I believe applies to us all, regardless of what religious or spiritual background we come from.
I know you're all busy, so I'll just give you a brief sample of the advice given by Elder Robert D Hales, and you can follow the link above if you're intrigued enough to read more.
- It’s not the obstacle that counts, but how you overcome it.
- Pursue your goals with all your heart, might, mind, and strength. You are doomed to failure if you pursue them in a vacillating manner.
- From a tiny spark can come a large fire.
- Our greatest strengths can become our greatest weaknesses.
- Failure is one of the greatest teachers if we have the faith to learn from it.
- It is not how you start the race or where you are during the race. It is how you cross the finish line that matters.
- "If you wish to get rich, save what you get. A fool can earn money; but it takes a wise man to save and dispose of it to his own advantage."
- You cannot learn the Lord’s will without exercising your agency and becoming accountable for your decisions.
- The more things change, the more they stay the same.
- The temple of God is the greatest university.
a self-evident truth that requires no proof.
a universally accepted principle or rule.