Friday, November 11, 2011

food friday

Hola Ya'll!

I kinda wanna try something a little different on this here blog. It's called food friday.

See, I've always liked to cook, even though I've never been amazing at it.
I mean, I can put together a mean recipe if I really try (most of the time), but it takes a lot of effort. And maybe a couple tries before it's just right.
But ever since getting married, I've been really trying to improve my cooking skills because I really really enjoy cooking!

I know you might be thinking me a little pathetic, and so cliche mormon wifey....but it's really true. There's a lot of satisfaction that comes from putting a great home-cooked meal on the table. And bonus points if everything is done at the same time (a feat that I am slowly mastering). Extra bonus points if nothing is burned.

I am blessed with a sweet husband who will eat anything I make and act like he loves it. In fact, if it's really bad, I'm the one who has to forbid him to eat it, otherwise he still would. And sometimes it's really really bad!

For the first 6 months of marriage, I probably set the fire alarm off in our apartment 8-10 times. And I'd panic and cry every time. G got really good at jumping up and taking care of the situation before it got too bad.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is, through all these experiences, maybe I haven't learned to cook better...maybe I've just learned to find the easy recipes that aren't very flammable.

And so I thought maybe I'd start sharing some of my favorite recipes with you. Particularly on Fridays.  Because alliteration is fun.
They probably won't be in normal organized recipe form, probably just scribbled out in lamens terms....but that's the best I can do folks.
And I'll only share my tried and tested recipes, so you can trust them!

And if you do trust me enough to try them, then let me know! And tell me your tweaks or comments, and I'll post them for others to see! And if you have any recipes to share with me, pah-lease do! And I'll try them and feature them (and you) in an upcoming week!

I'm thinkin this might be kinda fun.
I'm gettin pretty excited!


So.....without further ado, we're going to launch F.F. with one of my favorite winter recipes!
Warm, cozy, delicious days later! It's a winter classic!



Zuppa Toscana

-Yes, this recipe is based off of Olive Garden's Zuppa Toscana, but once you try this, you'll find OG a little disappointing.
We like our soups full and hearty in this family, yes we do.
















It goes a little something like this:

  • 7ish cups chicken broth. (I just fill the pot up, no need to measure.) (Also, canned chicken broth can be kinda expensive. When I can't find it at sale, I normally just do water with the bulk chicken bullion from winco! It's much cheaper, but a little less flavorful.)
  • 1/2lb ground Italian sausage- mild
  • 1/2lb ground Italian sausage- hot! (this is important, it give is all the yummy flava-flav!)
  • 5ish medium red potatoes, diced with skin on. (I never count these either. I like a lot of potatoes, so I just keep slicing until the broth is mostly filled with potato.)
  • 2-3 big leaves of kale.
  • 1/2 to 1 cup of heavy cream.
  • k. I think that's it.
So.
  1. Fill big soup pot with chicken broth and turn heat to high.
  2. While that's heating, begin to cut up red potatoes. Cut them into big yet bite sized pieces. Try to make them relatively the same size so they all cook at the same rate. Mine are normally in the inch to half inch range of thickness. Throw all the potatoes in the pot to begin boiling.
  3. Then, immediately, begin cutting up/pulling apart the kale. First I cut off the center stem and then I just rip it apart into inch(ish) long pieces and throw them into the boiling (or almost boiling ) pot. Again I kinda eye ball this, normally 2-3 big leaves do the trick, but you might need 5+ leaves if they're really small.
  4. Leave the pot to boil. While it's cooking, cook your sausage all together in a frying pan. You'll want to end up with bite sized chunks, but sometimes it all breaks up and the pieces are way too small. So don't keep cutting them with your spatula while it's cooking (I always do this and regret it).
  5. Try to drain as much of the sausage fat as possible. Don't rinse the meat though, or you'll lose all your flavor! It's okay if you can't get all the fat drained because you can just scoop it out once the soup cools and the fat rises to the top.
  6. Check on your potatoes to see if they are tender. You don't want them mushy, just tender. This normally takes between 20 and 30 minutes. Once they're tender, turn the heat down to low and drop in your sausage. Stir it around for a minute or two to let the flavor really sink in.
  7. Remove from heat and add your cream! This is the final step and it really pulls everything together!
  8. Enjoy!
This is one of our winter staples! I always make a full pot and we just eat it for lunch and lazy dinners all week. It's easy, cheap, and it hits the spot! Warning: sometimes it looks a little sketchy once it cools. I made this on Monday this week, and on tuesday G pulled it out of the fridge and said, "is it still okay if it looks really gross?" Once you heat it up and everything blends together again it goes back to it's amazing self! Trust me on this one!



Welp. That concludes our very first Food Friday. Let me know what you think!!



Love,
Kaela the Cook
(again, with the alliteration:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...