Monday, August 19, 2013

when it rains....

.....it just drizzles.
At least here in Arizona. 

Okay, when I moved here 3 months ago, it was only my second time stepping foot into this state. When I came last December, I think it was my first time ever seeing a saguaro cactus. At the time, I had not even the slightest idea that I would call this place home a short 5 months later.
Oddly enough, when Garrett and I were first married, we often talked about how we felt like we would end up in Arizona. At the time I had never been, but for some reason we could both imagine our family living in AZ someday. We had both completely forgotten about that until we got the job offer in April.  

Everyone told us that we were moving here at the worst possible time. They were right.
Oh my goodness, it is SO hot. And yeah, I'm a big baby about it. I have a vague memory of it being cool from our trip here last december......but it's fading fast. At this point, I'm not sure I'll ever wear pants or long sleeves again. I have to keep reminding myself not to cut all my pants into shorts, because I might need pants again someday.


My one saving hope in the midst of this summer sizzling was that I was informed that with the heat come some awesome summer storms. "Monsoon season," they said. "Awesome storms, where it just pours! The streets flood, and kids are splashing on the sidewalks, and it cools off for at time.....and it's beautiful," they said.

Granted, I was gone for 2 weeks in July, and I heard there was some rain then. But I have yet to see anything close to resembling a storm! One of the first things I do every morning is check the weather for the day, crossing my fingers for that little cloud with a lightning strike going through it to appear on my screen. It never does, which has been terribly depressing. And if you can't tell, I'm a little bit bitter about it.


So the other day, when my weather app showed a big bright sun, you can imagine my surprise when I opened my blinds to see a veeeeery light drizzle outside my window.  With a big "whoooooop!" I ran into Rae's room to wake her up a little early! We threw on rain boots and rain jackets and raced outside. "Breakfast! Can! Wait!" we said!

I made sure to bring Bella Ballerina along, because I think she's been missing the rain too. And Rae suggested that we bring the camera and take a bunch of pictures. A photoshoot in the rain, if you will. I agreed, it had to be documented!!

It really was only a drizzle, but we danced and sang and found the biggest puddle we could and jumped as high as we could into it! We strayed from the sidewalk to avoid walking under the protection of the tree's and we spread our arms wide to feel each drop of rain.



When we finally came in, our hair was still dry. That's how little of a rain it really was.
But our hearts were happy. And we ate a big yummy breakfast and cuddled up on the couch with hot chocolate to read some of our favorite stories. Because that's what ya do on rainy mornings...even if it's still 100 degree's outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...